2008/06/29

IF: Fierce

click for large version
(Please do, it looks pretty crummy in
such a miniscule resolution...)

Drawing fiercely! Too bad one of
the light bulbs is broken...

My schools annual exhibition is approaching,
and I´ve been asked to make one of the posters
for our classes rooms. I did this one in a larger
format than usual, and it shows in how much more
detail than usual I crammed in there. And somehow drawing
animals heads is much more fun than human faces to me...
I think I find the shapes involved more interesting.

I also did some work-in-progress shots
of it, to give you a little peek into
my work routine (Haha, "routine"...)
(You can enlarge each of these as well.)


I actually did the head first the day before.
I usually do the heads and faces on a separate sheet
and then cut-and-paste them.



I did this piece on two seperate sheets
because it´s easier to scan it this way.
There is also very little penciling involved,
just a few vague orientation lines.
This way I stay more flexible and
I improvise A LOT to keep things
exciting, and also because I am lazy.



Skribble, skribble, doodle, doodle.
This is my favourite part because
at this point I usually can see whether or not
it´s going to be any good, and I can lose
myself in the details. Very relaxing.



Here you can see White-Out (called Tipp-Ex in Germany, though
in this case it´s actually a Pentel correction pen, very handy!)
and the cut-and-paste marks. Things can get pretty messy
after some time because I started to cut and paste
a lot more ever since I make more complex drawings.

After I finished drawing by hand I scan it all
in, clean it up in GIMP (a free Photoshop clone, I can´t
be bothered to spend truckloads of money for software
I just use for basic coloring and editing), add some
simple color and draw in the white parts,
the letters in this case. A very efficient and
timesaving work routine; I did this piece in half
day while catching up with the Euro cup soccer final on
the radio. Getting a proper idea, however, takes
a lot more time, and I guess I got lucky in this case ;)

Hope you enjoyed my little tour!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this drawing.

Curious Art said...

Wonderful graphic & it was fun to see the step-by-step!

Bianca said...

Wow, I'm really digging your stuff.

Anonymous said...

Wow Fred.. you really did cram alot into this one. Though i love the outcome, i do feel it's "a little" cramped. But just a little :)

The blazzing light bulb ray it a nice touch. Really directs your eye to your "fierce" doodles ;)

Great work as usual Fred and good luck with the annual show.

av

Steve said...

Are you still studying Jurkmeister. When the fuck are you going to get a job?

Bloody students!

Kearns said...

fierce is right!